Skip to main content

New York Cheesecake with Raspberries


I am so so so excited to share what I'm about to say! I've been mentioning my constant studying and thesis writing for quite some time now. So... It all came to an end! I am a college graduate!!!!!!!!! It's all so weird for me to grasp it yet but it is such an amazing feeling... All my hard work paid off so I am officially an international relations expert. Or something like that :) Oh and I can't help but brag about my nerdy grade on my final exam. An A!!!! I was in such a trance-like state of mind the entire time I was studying for that exam because I had basically a huge amount of studying ahead of me and not a lot of time for that! And I'm the kind of person that if I study then I will study every single detail. So there's no little knowledge about everything. No, I either know something or I don't. That's why I was sooo stressed that what if I pick a topic that I didn't study for...But I kept a positive attitude and knew that whatever will be asked, I will know. And I did!!! So yes. Sorry for babbling about this for so long but I am way too excited! 



Okay, okay let's talk about cheesecake, too. :) So there was a major cookout at my house this weekend and I made the cake. The request was something fruity so a fruity cheesecake came immediately to my mind. I've been eyeing a new york cheesecake recipe by Pierre Hermé that I was more than eager to try! Oh My!!
This cheesecake was probably the best I've ever eaten. And I've had my fair share of good cheesecakes since it's my most favorite cake EVER. Light, fluffy and rich with flavor. I'm not exaggerating when I say it was heavenly. There were two kinds of cake at the party and the other one was a Sacher cake but this cheesecake pretty much kicked its butt a hundred times. It was such a huge hit! So if you are looking for the perfect cheesecake recipe, look no further, I am handing it to you on a silver plate :P
ps: I made a few changes because I didn't have time to make the crust but I will next time. I am sharing the Hermé crust not the one I used. I simply crushed oat cookies, mixed with melted butter and baked for 10 minutes prior pouring the cream cheese on it. Pretty simple. But I am sure this one is a whole lot better than this cookie crust.

New York Cheesecake with Raspberries
recipe is from Pastries by Pierre Hermé

2 and 1/4 pounds (1 kg) Philadelphia cream cheese
1 and 1/2 cups (300 grams) superfine granulated sugar - I processed the sugar so it was                                         superfine, almost powdered sugar
2 egg yolks
5 eggs
5 tbsp (70 grams) heavy cream
7 tbsp (50 grams) all-purpose flour

for the crust
1 stick plus 2 tbsp (150 grams) butter, at room temperature, cut into pieces
3/4 cup (95 g) powdered sugar
1/4 cup (30 g) ground almonds
2 dashes of sea salt
1/4 vanilla bean
1 large egg
2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour
7 tbsp (100 g) butter, softened

for the raspberry top
1 package gelatin 
200 grams raspberries plus 15 blueberries

To make the crust, beat the butter until smooth. Add, in the following order, the powdered sugar, ground almonds and sea salt. Split the vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds. Add the seeds and the egg, then the flour. Process until the dough forms a ball.

Divide the dough into 3 pieces. Wrap each in plastic and chill them in the fridge for 4 hours. Keep one portion out ready to work with and place the other two in the freezer to be used another time.

Preheat oven to 350F (170C). Butter a baking sheet. 
Roll out the dough into a round until it is 1/16 inch (2mm) thick. Transfer it to the baking sheet and put it in the oven. Bake for 12 minutes until golden brown.

Allow the dough to cool, then break it into pieces and place it in a food processor. Grind it to a powder. Add in the softened butter and blend it until crumbly. 

Spread the dough in a 9 1/2 inch (24 cm) diameter pastry ring, patting it down with your fingers and refrigerate for an hour.

Preheat oven to 300F (150C). Place the pastry ring in the oven and bake the dough for 12 minutes. Cool the dough. 

Reduce the oven temp. to 194F (90C). 

To make the cream cheese filling, process the cream cheese and superfine sugar for 2 minutes. Add the egg yolk, eggs and heavy cream. Mix until smooth the add the flour and process again. 

Pour the cream cheese filling onto the cooled pastry base. Place the cake in the oven and bake it for 1 3/4 hour. Note: it was not enough for me and I turned the heat up to 150C and baked it 15 more minutes. The cheesecake filling shouldn't wobble. Remove from the oven and put it in the fridge for overnight.

Before serving, slip a knife inside the ring and remove it. 

To make the top, prepare the gelatin as the package instructs. Place the berries on top of the cheesecake and just pat them with the gelatin. Don't pour it over, just pat so it will get a nice glowy surface and holds the fruits together. Enjoy :)


Comments

  1. Congratulations with your degree! At the moment I only have two more weeks of tests and then I, fingers crossed, will have my bachelor's degree. So I can imagine how happy you must be right now. Enjoy the feeling and the degree and good luck with whatever path you're going to take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you!! :) I wish you best of luck with your tests!! And when you get your degree be sure to celebrate it well!!! :P

      Delete
  2. Fantastic recipe, I can't wait to try it! :) Congratulations on becoming a graduate!!! That is so exciting, and I hope that you do with it what you're called to do. I still have 2 years to go!! And then I'll finally have a degree of my own to celebrate with!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Yes, yes you should definitely try it!! :) Oh enjoy those 2 years, being free of school is already scary :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! I can't imagine a better way to celebrate than eating this gorgeous cheesecake. My recipe is for NY style cheesecake is different, ibut that crust sure sounds amazing and I definitely need to try it. Alas, I have nothing to celebrate other than 5 extra pounds I brought as a 'souvenir' from a recent vacation, so it'll have to wait, unfortunately. Enjoy your summer as an International Relations expert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anabel! I was a bit skeptical about this recipe at first, baking it on such a low heat, but I am a total Pierre Hermé recipe junkie and I'm convinced that his recipes are wonderful. So I gave it a try and it's seriously the best cheesecake! So I can only say try it once and you can go back to your tried and working recipe later :) Where did you go for your vacay?

      Delete
  4. Congrats on being a graduate!! Good job! The cheesecake looks incredible! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. fantastic recipe, delicious ingredients, fabulous photography!
    xo
    http://allykayler.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the most beautiful cheesecake I have ever seen! I love all the fruit on top, it looks perfect!
    Congratulations on graduating! I still have two more years..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, thank you!! I just adore fruity cheesecakes, I think the sour fruits totally compliment the rich cheesecake flavor :) Good luck with your studies!!

      Delete
  7. Another delicious creation - I'm featuring this in today's Food Fetish Friday (with a link-back and attribution). I hope you have no objections and I always love dropping by to see what you've created...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely stunning! I'm a huge sucker for cheesecake, especially New York style cheesecake so I'm sure I could eat this entire thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Oh yeah, me too... I could eat cheesecake every single day! Unfortunately there would be serious consequences...like plus 20 pounds :D But oh well, makes me cherish that rare occasion when I do get to eat a slice! :)

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh, this cheesecake looks incredible!! Wow - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks absolutely delicious, and so easy to make!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Brown Butter Walnut Cake with Chocolate-Mocha Ganache

This post is yet again an example of how I procrastinate when it comes to studying or making a presentation. Whichever. This is going to be a lovely tale about a "magnifique" cake.  I got my inspiration to make that brown butter walnut sensation from  Procrastobaker . It is seriously one of the best things I've ever baked. I do not think the photos do justice when I tried to catch how breath-taking the cake is once a bite lands in your mouth... It is crispy on the outside and so juicy in the inside and the chocolate-mocha ganache goes just perfectly well with it. I changed the original recipe a bit, as I worked with walnuts and I added a layer of chocolate cream inside the cake, as well. Also, it is important to add that it is best one day after it was made. While it chilled in the fridge. Oh my... It was such a hit! Definitely going to make it again...and again... :) But I won't keep you on your toes and fill you in with this lovely recipe! Brown Butter W

Sajtos Pogácsa - Hungarian Cheese Puffs

Happy news! I have created a new, upgraded website where you can see all my old and new recipes. To see the recipe of the the Hungarian Cheese Puffs, you can simply click on the below link. https://theeccentriccook.com/sajtos-pogacsa-hungarian-cheese-puffs/

Hungarian Kakaós Csiga (Chocolate Rolls)

Frankly, I missed baking so much! Even though I needed one baking-free month to lose all the weight I gained due to the excessive baking mania I got over this summer I just cannot stop it! So I decided that I don't have to give up this love of mine but I do have to figure out something that will not leave me end up gaining weight again. What to do, what to do...Bake only in the weekends! And probably I should get a grip and not stuff my face until I can't move...Which didn't really happen today. I ate like 6 of these lovely chocolate rolls...I guess, no dinner for Csilla tonight :P These rolls are from a traditional Hungarian pastry recipe. I called my Grandma to ask for the recipe and as it always happens with Grandma recipes she did not know the measurements...I don't know if it's only with my grandmas but they always work with their eyes so they usually have no idea how much grams I need from this or that... So I turned to an ancient Hungarian cookbook and that